After School Activities and Special Programs
- Bowling: (Grades K-8) Students travel to the local bowling alley and are provided a structured environment with coaches and supervision where they can have fun and learn to bowl with their friends.
- Sports Clubs: Basketball and Soccer – (Teams are based on registration for the programs.)
- Swimming Program: (Kindergarten-3rd Grade) As part of our physical education curriculum, children in kindergarten through third grade are required to participate in a four-session swimming program in the spring. The students are transported once a week for four weeks by school bus to the Patchogue YMCA. Trained instructors teach the children to swim or enhance their current knowledge.
- PlayFit: PlayFit teaches children how to live active, healthy lives. Our focus is on using developmentally appropriate games and activities that promote the learning and improvement of social/emotional skills; cognitive skills; motor development; and fitness.
- F.A.S.T Athletics: (Grades Preschool – 5th) Athletic programs for all skill levels where everyone is encouraged as well as motivated to be the best they can be. Students will increase their confidence, aerobic activity, and develop a greater sense of teamwork, and sportsmanship, but most importantly improvement of overall fitness.
- Drama Club: a chance to learn about and experience the performing arts. There are roles for all levels of experience – from starring on stage to handling props behind the scenes. As a group, the students work together and achieve a mutual feeling of accomplishment as their efforts culminate in a drama performance each year.
- Band: An instrumental band program is available to students grade 3 through middle school. The program is run by Paul Effman Music Company. Lessons are given during the school day.
- Choir: (Grade 3-middle school) A choral experience built on the joy of singing. The students glorify God with the gifts He has given us. Students learn the fundamentals of sight-singing, healthy vocal production, and many wonderful songs as they develop and share their talents.
- Cooking Club: (Grade 4 through 8) The cooking club familiarizes children from a young age with the preparation of healthy and nutritious meals from whole ingredients.
- Handbell Choir: A Handbell Choir is available to students in grade 4 through Middle school. Practices are held after- school. Two concerts are held each year. Students may also perform for special services.
- Spelling Bees: (Grades 5 through 8) The Annual Spelling Bee is held in the spring. Our students compete against area private schools.
- Speech Contests: (Grades 5 through 8) The Annual Modern Woodmen Speech Contest is held in the spring.
- Fall Harvest Fair: Fall Harvest Fair is a friendly event held annually each fall. ELS families, their friends, and the local community are invited to join us for a day of fun and entertainment. Last year’s Fall Fair included face painting, arts, and crafts, bake sale, bounce house, Grandma’s Attic and other exciting activities for children and their parents!
- Thanksgiving Feast: PTFL provides a Thanksgiving Feast every year for the ELS students and families.
- Outdoor Education Field Trips: Students in 5th grade through middle school participate in an annual environmental education program with their teacher. They typically travel to Frost Valley YMCA Camp outside Liberty, NY or to Koinonia Lutheran Camp near Port Jervis, NY for three days in the fall.
- Spirit Week: The focus of Spirit Week is to promote spirit among our students/staff and to have some fun! During the 3rd week of January, Emanuel Lutheran School will be celebrating Spirit Week.
- Field Day: Field day is near the end of the school year. It’s a time at the village park for games and fellowship.
- End of the year picnic: The end of the year picnic is the last week of school in June. It is a PTFL sponsored event for families to come and celebrate the students’ accomplishments during the previous school year.
My years at Emanuel have shaped me into the person I am today. I have had some of the most incredible memories that will stay with me forever. My teachers and I have the best relationship that I could ever ask for. So thank you! No school will ever be better than Emanuel Lutheran School.Alexandra E.